Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Open Wide

Thirty years ago I listened to a teaching that totally rocked my world and shaped my understanding of the Gospel for the rest of my life. This teaching was called “Ten Shekels and a Shirt” by Paris Reidhead. Recently, someone sent me a link to this life-changing message and as I began to listen to it, I felt like I was receiving spiritual nutrients that had long been missing from my diet.

The human body requires dozens of different vitamins and minerals to stay healthy and without a regular supply of these elements we will begin to develop certain ailments such as scurvy or rickets as a result. Several centuries ago, during long sea voyages, sailors would develop scurvy as a result of a loss of vitamin C because of a limited intake of fruits and vegetables and would experience a number of ugly symptoms including the loss of their teeth.

In the Word of God there is a complete supply of spiritual nutrients that are designed to keep us healthy as individuals and fruitful as the Body of Christ. But sometimes the emphasis of the moment causes us to concentrate on certain truths to the exclusion of others and we can begin to generate a spiritual “scurvy”. This disease can cause us to loose our spiritual teeth so we can longer consume the “meat” of the word but merely the “milk”.

What’s amazing about this analogy is that you can be fully supplied with every other vitamin and mineral but if you lack in only one area, your entire body can be thrown out of whack.

I invite you to open wide and take your vitamins. This teaching carries some nutrients that have been sorely lacking in the Body of Christ. The absence of these truths, have produced an array of harmful symptoms such as compromise, complacency, cynicism and self-centeredness. This message delivers a word that is alive and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Here’s the link. I pray it touches your heart like it has touched mine.
http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?keyword=ten%20shekels&entiresite=true

2 comments: